Tenant Vetting Process Information
6th January 2019
As part of our referencing and background check, we will need some documents from you as evidence to support your tenant application, to verify your identity and to help us speed up your tenancy application. Remember, any delays in supplying the required evidence may impact your ability to let the property. Refusal to provide such documents without adequate reason may mean your application is unsuccessful and you may forfeit any fees paid.
These fees are payable before you move into the property.
Deposit: Equivalent to 6 Weeks rent.
These fees must be paid by tenants before they move into the property.
£125 Holding Fee (Refundable*).
£125 Reference, background check, affordability check and administration fee per person.
Tenants must have an income of more than 2.5x the amount of rent payable.
£125 reference, background check, affordability check and administration fee per guarantor.
Guarantors must have an income of more than 3x the amount of rent payable and must be a homeowner.
* Holding Fees are refundable to successful and unsuccessful applicants. However, where tenant applications are falsified or not truthful, the holding fee will not be returned.
Tenant Referencing Process
As part of our tenant referencing process, we will need certain documents proving any adult tenant’s identity, proof of income, affordability and the right to live in the UK.
As part of our referencing process, we carry out the following checks:
The documents requirement may differ for potential tenants from EEA countries (EU member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Switzerland, and for those from outside these countries.
Tenants with British Citizenship or from within the EEA or Switzerland:
One of the following:
- British /EEA passport (current or expired)
- Valid biometric immigration document
- Certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen.
Two of the following:
- Birth certificate
- Letter dated within the last three months from an employer
- Letter from UK educational institution
- Full or provisional driving licence (with counterpart).
Tenants from other countries
The following documentation must be endorsed to indicate that the named person may stay in the UK for a time-limited period:
- Valid passport/travel document
- Biometric immigration document
- Residence card
- Immigration status document issued by the home office
- A ‘yes’ response from the Landlords Checking Service.
These checks need to be followed up either, a) 12 months from the date of the previous check or b) before the expiry of the person’s right to live in the UK.
Other Documents Required:
- Proof of income: 3 months bank statements, a letter confirming receipt of benefits, financial accounts if self-employed.
- We may ask for other documents at any point during the tenant application process. Failure to provide these documents may result in a failed tenant application.